Rock n Roll Savannah and questioning what to do next

18 Nov

Hey there! It’s been a while, so I thought I’d pop in real quick and explain. πŸ™‚ A little over a week ago I flew down to Savannah Georgia to run the Rock n Roll Savannah Half Marathon on Saturday and the 5k on Sunday.

In case you haven’t heard, Saturday’s races were a bit crazy. The humidity on Saturday for the half marathon and full marathon was crazy and out of control (I heard the locals say it was more humid than they had even trained in), and the temperatures were high. Some of the water stations ran out of cups at one point because runners took so much water. Many runners were on the side getting medical attention and at one point we had to move to the side of the course to let an ambulance through. Sirens were the common background noise in the later miles of the half. Sadly, there has been two deaths that occurred during and after the race. Ultimately both the half marathon and the marathon were cut short and many runners were diverted and unable to finish their races. Whether you think these things were preventable or not, or if the Competitor Group made the right call at closing down the courses or not, the fact is the conditions were not good. I finished the full 13.1 miles in a decent time and felt okay during the majority of the race. I also made the decision about half way through to not push myself and to walk as I needed and listen to my body. When I finished I chugged water and Gatorade and felt fine.

The next day the temperature dropped about 20 degrees and it was windy and rainy for the 5k. Luckily it was just a bit dark and dreary when we ran, but shortly after it started down-pouring. I was happy with my finishing time, but those were the conditions.

The next day I flew from Savannah to Chicago, and Chicago to back home.

You know where this is going right? Between two races with tough weather conditions and probably being exposed to plenty of germs in airports/airplanes, almost the second I got home I got sick. On my second day of missing work I went to the doctor and they diagnosed me with an electrolyte imbalance with a cold on top of it. Basically my immune system was dehydrated and compromised and though I tried to get it under control with hydration after the races, I caught a cold which further dehydrated me. ugh.

This week I am finally back at work (though still not feeling 100% if I’m being honest), and am running when I can because I was planning to run the Philadelphia Half this weekend. Β I say planning because I’m honestly still not 100% sure that I want to run it. I feel a little demotivated – both physically and mentally. I’ve had a great fall season of races, and after Savannah part of me wants to be done with the longer races for the year. On the other hand, another part of me wants one last shot to run my little heart out for 13.1 miles in 2015.

So that’s where I’m at. And that’s also why you haven’t seen a proper recap of my Rock n Roll Savannah races yet either. I’ve got some great pictures to share and definitely some stories!

I’ll share them and what I decide to do this weekend soon, promise. πŸ™‚


2 Responses to “Rock n Roll Savannah and questioning what to do next”

  1. Darlene November 19, 2015 at 10:55 am #

    I’d love to do Savannah someday. But not in that heat! Philly is on my list too.

    • Becca November 19, 2015 at 10:58 am #

      Savannah is a great race! And the heat of this year was an unusual fluke – usually the temperatures are much better!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: